Table of Contents Hide
Ever see a phone number that starts with (855) and wonder what that area code means?
It’s not exactly the same as your standard area code, like (212) or (415), which are both associated with a specific region. Phone numbers beginning with an (855) area code belong to a class of phone numbers called “toll-free numbers” — they aren’t tied to a geographical area in the same way that (212) is associated with the New York City borough of Manhattan. Instead, anybody — from any part of the country — can call you from an (855) number.
Other common codes for toll-free numbers are (800), (888), and (866). Typically, you won’t see these numbers linked to an individual’s personal phone — instead, toll-free numbers are commonly used for businesses and organizations that want to maintain or establish a more national identity, rather than one linked to a specific area. People are less likely to contact a business if they’ve got an area code that’s associated with another part of the country — a toll-free number can add a layer of trust to your business, making it seem a bit more legitimate.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the advantages of starting a toll-free number for businesses and other organizations. We’ll also go over how you can get an (855) number and transfer it to US Mobile for an optimized US Mobile for Business experience.
Advantages of Toll-Free Numbers
Toll-free numbers, including those with the 855 area code, offer several advantages for businesses and organizations. Here are a few reasons why they are widely used:
- National Presence: By utilizing a toll-free number, businesses can create a national presence without being limited to a specific geographic area. This allows them to attract customers from across the country, regardless of their physical location.
- Enhanced Customer Service: Toll-free numbers are often associated with excellent customer service. Customers can reach out to a business without incurring any charges, making it more convenient for them to seek assistance, ask questions, or place orders.
- Credibility and Professionalism: Having a toll-free number can add credibility and professionalism to a business. It gives the impression that the organization is well-established and serious about its operations, which can help build trust with potential customers.
- Marketing and Branding: Toll-free numbers can be a valuable marketing tool. They are easy to remember and can be incorporated into advertising campaigns, making it easier for potential customers to reach out and engage with the business.
- Call Analytics and Tracking: Many toll-free number providers offer call analytics and tracking features. These tools allow businesses to gather data on incoming calls, such as call volume, call duration, and caller demographics. This information can be used to measure the effectiveness of marketing campaigns and make data-driven business decisions.
How Toll-Free Numbers Work
Toll-free numbers operate a little bit differently than regular phone numbers. When a caller dials a toll-free number, the call is routed to the toll-free service provider’s network. The provider then determines the destination of the call based on the dialed number.
In the case of an (855) number, the call may be directed to a specific business or organization, a call center, or even a personal phone line depending on the configuration set by the toll-free number owner.
It’s important to note that although the caller does not incur charges for the call itself, the toll-free number owner is responsible for paying the costs associated with the incoming calls. These costs are typically based on the duration of the call or a predetermined rate per minute.
How to Get An (855) Number
If you’re a business or organization looking to obtain an (855) toll-free number, the process is relatively straightforward. Here are the steps to get an (855) number:
- Choose a Toll-Free Service Provider: There are various service providers that offer toll-free number services, including those that provide (855) numbers. Research different providers to find the one that best suits your needs in terms of features, pricing, and customer support.
- Determine Your Needs: Consider how you plan to use the toll-free number and what features are essential for your business. Some providers offer additional services like call forwarding, voicemail, and advanced call analytics. Define your requirements to ensure you select a provider that can meet them.
- Check Availability: Once you’ve selected a service provider, check the availability of the desired (855) number. You can often search for available numbers on the provider’s website by entering specific digits or keywords related to your business.
- Choose Your Number: Review the available (855) numbers and select the one that aligns with your branding or is easy for customers to remember. Keep in mind that highly desirable or memorable numbers may have additional costs associated with them.
At US Mobile, we do not currently provide toll-free numbers with an (855) area code. However, we recommend that you transfer your (855) phone number to our network once you’ve secured an (855) number for your business or organization — our business plans and line management options make the US Mobile experience optimal for nationally minded businesses (not to mention that we’ve got the most affordable plans out there!). Simply create a US Mobile account and follow the steps in your dashboard to transfer your number over to our network.
US Mobile for Business users can access all of the following features:
- Pooled plans specifically tailored to your company’s needs
- A dedicated account manager for companies of all sizes
- Coverage on the two largest networks in the country
- Bulk activation and management for all of your lines
- 24/7 customer support from live agents
- Usage analytics for all your lines
- Ability to create multiple pools
So get an (855) number today and bring it onto our network if you’re looking to take the next step with your business.