Table of Contents
- Unlimited cell phone plans can be expensive. Just pay for what you use.
- If data tends to be the biggest cost on your phone bill, here are a few hacks to lower your data usage:
- Buy a no-contract cell phone plan.
- Optimize your cell phone plan in real-time
- Sign up for a smaller carrier
- Time to switch to applications
- Move to a family plan
- Always check for discounts
- Opt for autopay
- Think twice about insurance
Unlimited cell phone plans can be expensive. Just pay for what you use.
If data tends to be the biggest cost on your phone bill, here are a few hacks to lower your data usage:
- Turn off cellular data for all apps that you don’t need regular updates from.
Once you do that, the apps will only update and use data when you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
- There are applications out there (such as Onavo Extend) that can make your data usage around 5 times more efficient than its current state by compressing it.
It can look out for the data costs running in the background, and strips out all of the extra data that is being used. The downside, however, is that the company will be aware of the data you’re accessing. It all depends on if that is a price you’re willing to pay.
- You can utilize offline features.
Some applications have offline features that allow you to use the application when you aren’t using the internet. For instance, you can download YouTube videos on Wi-Fi, and then watch them later whenever you like!
- Disable display ads for your browser.
Display ads auto-play videos that stream to your phone, so if you have a browser that helps you disable these ads, you save plenty of data.
- Download podcasts and playlists ahead of time to save data.
- Disable Background App Refresh
Since apps often update in the background when you are not using them, and this of course uses data.
- Use Wi-Fi hotspots where available.
- Turn off your phone while asleep.
It is likely that throughout the night, data will be used on the phone, especially if applications are running. You could save a lot of data over time by trying out this hack.